Sabtu, 21 April 2012

Contoh Handout B. Inggris


SEKOLAH TINGGI KEGURUAN DAN ILMU PENDIDIKAN BANTEN
HANDOUT

Mata kuliah : Bahasa Inggris
Program/Semester : Non Reguler/II
Dosen: Arif Fahrudin, S.Pd.I


EXPRESSION

  • Greeting, Introduction, and Lave Taking
Greeting (Ungkapan Salam)
Biasanya setelah mengucapkan salam, kita mengiringi dengan bertanya tentang kabar orang yang disapa. Di bawah ini beberapa ungkapan salam yang digunakan dan ungkapan untuk menanyakan / menjawab kondisi seseorang.
Informal
Neural
Formal
  • Hello my friend, how are you?
  • Hi, everybody!
  • Hi guys, are you oke?
  • Good morning sir, How are you to day?
  • Good afternoon, nice to see you.
  • How do you do?
  • Good afternoon, Sir?


  • Introducing(Perkenalan).
Di bawah ini adalah beberapa ungkapan – ungkapan untuk memperkenalkan diri.
Informal
Neutral
Formal
  • Hello, I am Ryan
I am Fachi, how do you do Ryan?
  • Excuse me, I am Vito.
I am Rika, How do you do Vito?
  • May introduce myself, I am Rangga, Sales Mananger Handicraft Company.
  • My name is Lusi. I am delighted to meet you mr. Iwan.

  • Leave taking
Biasanya untuk menutup percakapan kita menggunakan ungkapan – ungkapan sebagai berikut:
Informal
Neutral
Formal
  • Bye… bye…
  • Cherio
  • See you
- See you tomorrow
- See you later
- See you soon
- Nice to meet you
- See you later
- How do you do

Perhatikan contoh dan pembahasan berikut!
Indah : “Hello, Hes. How are you?”
Hesti : “Hi, I am fine. How about you?”
Indah : “ I am very well, thanks. I have something to tell you.”
Hesty : “What is it?”
Indah : “I plan to have small party next weekend. Would you like to join us?”
Hesty : “Sure, I will be there.”
Indah : O.K,see you next weekend.”
Hesty :”See you”
Kalimat – kalimat yang dicetak tebal pada contoh di atas adalah contoh ungkapan greeting dan parting.
Kalimat geeeting digunakan pada saat kita bertemu dengan seseorang dan ungkapan parting digunakan pada saat berpisah dengan seseorang.

  • Command (Perintah)

Mr.Nana : “Good orning, Students!”
Students : “Good morning, Sir.”
Mr.Nana : “O.K. today, we will discuss about industry. Open your book on page 32!”
Students : “Yes, Sir.”
Mr.Nana : “Bondan, read the reading passage, please!”
Bondan : “All right, Sir.”
Kalimat yang bercetak tebal adalah contoh kalimat yang mengungkapan suatu perintah (expressing command). Command adalah suatu ungkpan yang digunalan untuk meminta oang lain melakukan suatu pekerjaan (aktivitas). Command atau kalimat perintah selalu di awali dengan kata kerja bentuk pertama atau Be, jika diikuti oleh kata sifat (adjective).
V1 + O/Ket + !
  1. Clean the blackboard!
  2. Sweep the classroom!
  3. Come here, please!
  4. Do it by yourself!
Be + adj +!
  1. Be quiet, please!
  2. Be honest!
  3. Be careful!
  4. Be calm!
Expressions
Responses
  • Clean the blackboard please!
  • Sit down, please!
  • Stand up, please!
  • Oke, no problem
  • I do it
  • Yes sir!

  • Forbiding (Larangan)
Expressions
Responses
  • Don’t speak loudly, please!
  • Don’t make a noise, please!
  • Don’t go away, please!
  • Don’t cry, please!
  • Of course
  • Sure
  • Ok

  • Asking and Giving Information.
Ungkapan – ungkapan yang sering digunakan adalah:
  1. What (asking about things)
  2. Where (asking about places)
  3. When (asking about time)
  4. Who (asking about persons, usually as subject)
  5. Whose (asking about possesion)
  6. Why (asking about reason)
  7. How (asking about the manner)
Untuk menanyakan dan memberikan informasi kita dapat menggunakan:
  1. Yes / No questions
Yaitu pertanyaan - pertanyaan yang membutuhkan jawaban Yes atau No.
Untuk membuat Yes – no menggunakan:
  • To be (is, are, am, was, were)
Example: A: “Is he a librarian?”
B: “ Yes, he is.”
  • Kata kerja waktu ( do, does, did)
Example : A: “does he work in library?”
B: “ no, he doesn’t”
  • Modal (can, may, have, and so on)
Example: A: “ Can I borrow the book?”
B: “Yes, you can.”
  1. Wh-questions
Yaitu pertanyaan yang membutuhkan jawaban yang detail.
Example :
  • A: “What is your name?”
B: “My name is Andre.”
  • A: “ Where do you live?”
B: “ I live in Jakarta.”
  • A: “When will you return the book?”
B: “I’ll return the book tomorrow.”
  • A: “ Who helps you to find the book.”
B: “A librarian helps me to find the book.”
  • A: “ Why do you get a fine?”
B: “ Because I retrun the book late.”
  • A: “ How do you know that?”
B: “ Someone informs me about it.”

  • Thanking
Situation
Expressions
Responses
More formal
  • Thanks a million.
  • Thank you
  • Thank a lot for…
  • I’m very grateful for…
  • Don’t worry about it!
  • That’s okay.
  • You are welcome.
  • Don’t mention it.

Less formal
  • Thanks
  • Forget it!



  • Apologizing (Ungkapan permintaan maaf)
Expressions
Responses
o    I beg your pardon.
o    I would like to apologize for…
o    Please forgive me for…
o    I’m awfully sorry..
o    I really must apologize for…
o    There is nothing to apologize.
o    That’s all right.
o    It’s quite all right.
o    No need to worry.
o    Don’t worry, its OK!
  • Politeness (Ungkapan permintaan)
Expression
Responses
  • Could you show me your picture, please?
  • Could you tell me the matter, please?
  • Would you like to go with me, please?
  • Yes, I could.
  • Why not?
  • Sure
  • Of course

  • Asking and giving opinion
Yaitu ungkapan untuk menanyakan dan memberikan pendapat.
Asking for Opinion
Giving Opinion
  • Do you think that..?
  • What do you think of/about..?
  • What is your opinion about..?
  • How do you think of..?
  • Yes, I think so / I don’t think so
  • I think..
  • In my opinion…
  • As I see it,…

  • Offering Something
Yaitu ungkapan untuk menawarkan bantuan dan cara meresponnya.
How to offer help
How to accept an offer
  • Shall I do it for you?
  • What can I do for you?
  • Would you like me to help you?
  • Thank you very much
  • Oh, yes please
  • If you’re sure. It’s no problem

How to refuse the offer
  • Please, don’t trouble yourself with this.
  • Thank you for the offer, but I can do it myself.
  • That’s a good idea, but thanks.

  • Interrupting and asking Permission.
Yaitu hal yang dapat dilakukan tanpa menjadi suatu keharusan ( digunakan sebagai permohonan izin)
Expressions
Responses
  • I’m sorry for disturbing you…
  • May I take…
  • Yes, please… here you are
  • Yes, of course.

  • Certainly and Uncertainly
Yaitu ungkapan untuk menyatakan kepastiaan dan ketidakpastian.
Menanyakan kepastian
Menyatakan kepastian
Menyatakan ketidakpastian
  • Are you sure?
  • Are you certain?
  • Are you positive about it?
  • I am absolutely sure
  • I am certain about it
  • I am positive about that
  • I am not sure
  • I am not absolutely sure about it
  • I am not certain

  • Sympathy
Yaitu ungkapan simpati yang digunakan untuk mengungkapkan perasaan iba dan turut prihatin atas hal – hal yang tidak menyenangkan yang terjadi pada orang lain.
Example:
  1. That’s awful!
  2. That’s a pity!
  3. That’s a terrible!
  4. I am sorry to hear that!
  5. Please accept my condolence.



Referensi:
  • Mustaha, bachrudin. STEPS TO GLOBAL WORD : A Breakthrough in Learning English for SMU.Jakarta: Grafindo.2004.
  • Aryani, rima. Kupas Tuntas Bahasa Inggris. Solo : Sundana. 2010.



















SEKOLAH TINGGI KEGURUAN DAN ILMU PENDIDIKAN BANTEN
HANDOUT

Mata kuliah : Bahasa Inggris
Program/Semester : Non Reguler/II
Dosen: Arif Fahrudin, S.Pd.I

Active and Passive Voice

Active sentence (active voice) is a sentence where the subject was doing the work, by contrast, the passive voice (passive voice) is a sentence where the subject was subjected to the work by the object of the sentence.. Active voice is more often used in everyday life compared with the passive voice. However, often we find the passive voice in the newspapers, articles in magazines and scholarly writings. Passive voice is used because the object of the active voice is the information more important than his subject.
Contoh : Example:
  • Active : We fertilize the soil every 6 months
  • Passive: The soil is fertilized by us every 6 months
From this example we can see that:
  1. Object of the active voice (the soil) becomes the subject of the passive voice
  2. Subject of the active voice (we) became the object of the passive voice.Note also that there is a change of subject pronouns 'we' becomes the object pronoun 'us'.
  3. Verb1 (Fertilize) the active voice becomes verb3 (fertilized) on the passive voice.
  4. He added that be 'is' in front verb3. Be used is dependent on the subject of passive voice and tenses used. (Note the passive voice patterns below).
  5. He added the word 'by' behind verb3. However, if the object of the passive voice is considered unimportant or unknown, then the object is usually not mentioned and so does the word 'by'.
  6. Especially for progressive sentences (present, past, past perfect, future, past future, and past perfect continuous future, need to add the 'being' in front verb3). If not added "being", tensisnya will change, not a progressive / continuous again. Consider the examples in point h - o below.
Based on the six points above the passive voice followed the pattern as follows:
Subject + be + Verb 3 + Object + by + modifier
The pattern of active and passive voice in each tense
a. If the active voice in simple present tense, then 'be' passive voice it is is, am or acres.
Example:
  • Active : He meets them everyday.
  • Passive : They are met by him everyday.
  • Active : She waters this plant every two days.
  • Passive : This plant is watered by her every two days.
b. If the active voice in the simple past tense, then 'be' passive voice it is was or were the resource persons
Example:
  • Active : He met them yesterday
  • Passive : They were met by him yesterday
  • Active : She watered this plant this morning
  • Passive: This plant was watered by her this morning
c. If the active voice in present perfect tense, then 'be' passive voice it is been placed after the auxiliary has or have, so it becomes 'has been' or 'have been'
Example:
  • Active: He has met Them
  • Passive: They have been met by him
  • Active: She has watered this plant for 5 minutes.
  • Passive: This plant has been watered by her for 5 minutes.
d. If the active voice in the past perfect tense, then 'be' passive voice it is been placed after the auxiliary had, so be Had been
Example:
  • Active: He Had Met Them before I CAME.
  • Passive: They Had been met by him before I CAME.
  • Active: She Had watered this plant for 5 minutes Pls I got here
  • Passive: This plant Had been watered by her for 5 minutes Pls I got here
e. If the active voice in the simple future tense, then 'be' passive voice is to be his
Example:
  • Active: He Will meet tomorrow Them.
  • Passive: They Will be met by him tomorrow.
  • Active: She Will this water plant this afternoon.
  • Passive: This Will plant be watered by her this afternoon.
  • Active: The Farmers are going to harvest the crops next week
  • Passive: The crops are going to be harvested by the Farmers next week.
f. If the active voice in the future perfect tense, then 'be' passive voice it is been placed after the auxiliary Will have, so it becomes 'Will have been'
Example:
  • Active: He Will have Met Them before I get there tomorrow.
  • Passive: They Will have been met by him before I get there tomorrow.
  • Active: She Will have watered this plant before I get here this afternoon.
  • Passive: This Will plants have been watered by her before I get here this afternoon.
g. If the active voice in the past future perfect tense, then 'be' passive voice it is been placed after the auxiliary would have, so it becomes 'would have been'.
Example:
  • Active: He would have met Them.
  • Passive: They would have been met by him.
  • Active: She would have watered this plant.
  • Passive: This plant would have been watered by her.
h. . If the active voice in the present continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice is (is, am or acre) + being.
Example:
  • Active: He is meeting Them now.
  • Passive: They are being met by him now.
  • Active: She is watering this plant now.
  • Passive: This plant is being watered by her now.
i. If the active voice in the past continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice is (was or were the resource persons) + being.
Example:
  • Active: He was meeting Them.
  • Passive: They were the resource persons being met by him.
  • Active: She was watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant was being watered by her.
j. If the active voice in perfect continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice is (has / have) been + being.
Example:
  • Active: He has been meeting Them.
  • Passive: They have been being met by him.
  • Active: She has been watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant has been being watered by her.
k. If the active voice in the past perfect continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice-it was Had been + being.
Example:
  • Active: He Had been meeting Them.
  • Passive: They Had been being met by him.
  • Active: She Had been watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant being watered by Had been her.
l. If the active voice in the future continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice-it is the will of be + being. Example:
  • Active: He Will be meeting Them.
  • Passive: They Will be being met by him.
  • Active: She Will be watering this plant.
  • Passive: Will be This plant being watered by her.
m. If the active voice in the past future continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice it is would be + being.
Example:
  • Active: He would be meeting Them.
  • Passive: They would be being met by him.
  • Active: She would be watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant would be being watered by her.
n. If the active voice in the future perfect continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice-it is the Will have been + being.
Example:
  • Active: He Will have been meeting Them.
  • Passive: Will They have been being met by him.
  • Active: She Will have been watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant will from have been being watered by her.
o. If the active voice in the past future perfect continuous tense, then 'be' passive voice it is would have been + being.
Example:
  • Active: He would be meeting Them.
  • Passive: They would be being met by him.
  • Active: She would be watering this plant.
  • Passive: This plant would be being watered by her.
Other examples:
  1. Koko's nose is bleeding . Koko's nose is bleeding. He was punched by his friend right on his nose. He was punched by his friend right on his nose.
  2. The Indonesian football team was beaten by the Saudi Arabian team. The Indonesian football team was beaten by the Saudi Arabian team.
  3. These plants were watered by my sister a few minutes ago. These plants were the resource persons watered by my sister A Few minutes ago.
  4. There is no meal left. There is no meal left. All has been devoured by Yeyes. All has been devoured by Yeyes.
  5. English is studied by all high school students. Home is studied by all high school students.
Use of Passive
Passive voice is used when the focus is on the action. It is not important or not known, however, who or what is performing the action.
Example: My bike was stolen.
In the example above, the focus is on the fact that my bike was stolen. I do not know, however, who did it.
Sometimes a statement in passive is more polite than active voice, as the following example shows:
Example: A mistake was made.
In this case, I focus on the fact that a mistake was made, but I do not blame anyone (e.g. You have made a mistake.).
Form of Passive
Subject + finite form of to be + Past Participle (3rd column of irregular verbs)
Example: A letter was written.
When rewriting active sentences in passive voice, note the following:
  • the object of the active sentence becomes the subject of the passive sentence
  • the finite form of the verb is changed (to be + past participle)
  • the subject of the active sentence becomes the object of the passive sentence (or is dropped)
Examples of Passive
Tense
Subject
Verb
Object
Simple Present
Active:
Rita
writes
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
is written
by Rita.
Simple Past
Active:
Rita
wrote
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
was written
by Rita.
Present Perfect
Active:
Rita
has written
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
has been written
by Rita.
Future I
Active:
Rita
will write
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
will be written
by Rita.
Hilfsverben
Active:
Rita
can write
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
can be written
by Rita.
Examples of Passive
Tense
Subject
Verb
Object
Present Progressive
Active:
Rita
is writing
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
is being written
by Rita.
Past Progressive
Active:
Rita
was writing
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
was being written
by Rita.
Past Perfect
Active:
Rita
had written
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
had been written
by Rita.
Future II
Active:
Rita
will have written
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
will have been written
by Rita.
Conditional I
Active:
Rita
would write
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
would be written
by Rita.
Conditional II
Active:
Rita
would have written
a letter.
Passive:
A letter
would have been written
by Rita.
Passive Sentences with Two Objects
Rewriting an active sentence with two objects in passive voice means that one of the two objects becomes the subject, the other one remains an object. Which object to transform into a subject depends on what you want to put the focus on.

Subject
Verb
Object 1
Object 2
Active:
Rita
wrote
a letter
to me.
Passive:
A letter
was written
to me
by Rita.
Passive:
I
was written
a letter
by Rita.
.
As you can see in the examples, adding by Rita does not sound very elegant. That’s why it is usually dropped.
Personal and Impersonal Passive
Personal Passive simply means that the object of the active sentence becomes the subject of the passive sentence. So every verb that needs an object (transitive verb) can form a personal passive.
Example: They build houses. – Houses are built.
Verbs without an object (intransitive verb) normally cannot form a personal passive sentence (as there is no object that can become the subject of the passive sentence). If you want to use an intransitive verb in passive voice, you need an impersonal construction – therefore this passive is called Impersonal Passive.
Example: he says – it is said
Impersonal Passive is not as common in English as in some other languages (e.g. German, Latin). In English, Impersonal Passive is only possible with verbs of perception (e. g. say, think, know).
Example: They say that women live longer than men. – It is said that women live longer than men.
Although Impersonal Passive is possible here, Personal Passive is more common.
Example: They say that women live longer than men. – Women are said to live longer than men.
The subject of the subordinate clause (women) goes to the beginning of the sentence; the verb of perception is put into passive voice. The rest of the sentence is added using an infinitive construction with 'to' (certain auxiliary verbs and that are dropped).
Sometimes the term Personal Passive is used in English lessons if the indirect object of an active sentence is to become the subject of the passive sentence.


Referensi:
  • Mustaha, bachrudin. STEPS TO GLOBAL WORD : A Breakthrough in Learning English for SMU.Jakarta: Grafindo.2004.
  • Aryani, rima. Kupas Tuntas Bahasa Inggris. Solo : Sundana. 2010.
- http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar/passive, di unduh 20 juni jam 20:00 Wib
SEKOLAH TINGGI KEGURUAN DAN ILMU PENDIDIKAN BANTEN
HANDOUT

Mata kuliah : Bahasa Inggris
Program/Semester : Non Reguler/II
Dosen: Arif Fahrudin, S.Pd.I


Conjunction



Conjunction or conjunctions are words that are used to connect / merge with another word, phrase with another phrase, or clause with another clause. There are three types of conjunctions: coordinating conjunctions, correlative conjunctions, and subordinating conjunctions.

  1. Coordinating conjunctions

    Conjuctions is used to combine words with other words, combine phrases with other phrases, or sentences with other sentences. Linked by a conjunction of this type must be an element the same sentence, eg subject + subject, verb phrase + verb phrase, sentence + sentence.

    There are seven coordinating conjunctions are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. To make it easier to remember try using this acronym: fanboys; F for A's and, N for normal, and so on.

    Example:
    - The boy keeps the lights on, for he is afraid of sleeping in the dark.
(Anak itu membiarkan lampunya menyala karena dia takut tidur dalam keadaan gelap)
- He has one good dictionary and at least 3 good English books.
(Dia punya 1 kamus bagus dan paling tidak 3 buku bahasa Inggris bagus).

- She is a vegetarian. She will not eat beef, nor will she eat chicken.
(Dia seorang vegetarian. Dia tidak akan makan daging sapi, dia juga tidak akan makan daging ayam).

- She is cute but evil.
(Dia cantik tapi jahat).

- Do you want to go with me or to stay home?
(Apakah kamu mau ikut saya atau tinggal di rumah?).

Note:

Use a comma before the conjunction if the conjunction combines two sentences. Commas are also used if the conjunctions combine more than two words or a phrase. Example: We studied math, physics, and chemistry last semester.
For also functions as a preposition. As preposisiton, for followed by a noun. Example: I am waiting for a cab.
Yet also serves as an adverb. Example: I have not finished reading this article yet. See the use of the adverb yet the discussion about the present perfect tense.
So = as if followed by the adjective / adverb.
See the discussion of its use in comparisons.


2). Paired conjunctions / Correlative conjunctions

Conjunctions also incorporates the element-element sentence as above. The difference is always used in pairs.
Both ... and

either ... or
not only ... but also

Neither ... nor

Example:

Both my sister and my brother can play the guitar. My sister dan my brother dua-duanya bisa main gitar).
He is not only handsome but also smart. (Dia bukan saja tampan tapi juga pintar). ( jika not only diletakkan di awal kalimat, lakukan inversi terhadap auxiliary/be/do,does,did ke depan subject kalimat). Jadi kalimat ini juga dapat ditulis: Not only is he handsome but also smart.
Either the students or the teacher is going to go to the museum tomorrow. (Baik murid-murid maupun guru akan pergi ke museum besok).
Neither John, Sussie nor I have a good studying habit. (Baik John, Sussie maupun saya tidak punya kebiasaan belajar yang baik). Mungkin, belajarnya hanya jika ada ujian.

Note:
With the exception of Both ... and, if corrective conjunctions combine singular and plural subjects, forms of verbs (whether singular or plural) is determined by the subject closest to (which is immediately followed by) the verb is.

Note:
in Example 3 is used is going to (not are going to) because it immediately follows the teacher (singular subject). In Example 4 is used have (not has) because it directly follows I. Now let us consider the writing, when the position rotated subjectnya:

Either the teacher or the students are going to go to the museum tomorrow. (Neither the teacher nor the students will go to the museum tomorrow).
Neither John nor I Sussie has a good studying habits. (Well John, I and Sussie not have good study habits).




  1. Subordinating conjunctions

    Subordinating conjuctions are words that can be used to form adverbial clause (which is generally a clause / subordinate clause) of the main sentence (main clause).
    The number of conjunctions of this type are very numerous and in general are adverbs. Conjunction of this type can be grouped into 5, the conjunction of states of time (time), causal (cause and effect), meaning the opposite (Opposition), goals (purpose), and conditional (conditional).

    a. Used to denote time (time).
    - after (setelah)
- till (hingga/sampai)
- the first time (pertama kali)
- before (sebelum)
` - as soon as (segera setelah)
- the second time (kedua kali)
- when (ketika)
- once (segera setelah)
- the last time (terakhir kali)
- while (sementara)
- as long as (sepanjang)
- the next time (kali berikut)
- as (sementara)
- so long as (sepanjang)
- by the time
- since (sejak)
- whenever (setiap kali)
- until (hingga/sampai)
- every time (setiap kali)

Example:
    • We will play football after we finish doing the homework.
- Before they got married last month, they had been seeing each other for almost ten years.
- When I got home last night, someone was trying to break into my house.
- A friend of mine felt asleep on his desk while the teacher was teaching.
- She has turned into a different person since she became a famous artist.
- I will keep studying hard until the final exam is over next week.
- We will leave as soon as the rain stops.
- As long as I live, I will never see your fucking ugly face again.
- Whenever I look at her picture, my heart beats fast.
- The first time we went to Bali, we went to Tanah Lot.
- The next time I play you, I will kick your ass.

   
Note: kick your ass = kick your butt = defeat. Very informal.

b. Used to indicate causality (cause-effect).
Sebab akibat
because (karena)
inasmuch as (karena)
so…that (sehingga)
since (karena)
now that (karena sekarang)
such …that (sehingga)
as (karena)


Example:

  • That I passed the course easily since the questions were the resource persons very easy.
  • He got an accident Because he drove while he was drunk.
  • Now that the semester is finished, I am going to rest for a Few days and then take a trip to Bali.
  •  As She Had nothing to do, She asked me to come over to her house.
Inasmuch as the two countries' leaders did not reach an agreement, the possibility of war the between the two countries Remains open.
The coffee is so hot that i can not drink it. (The coffee was so hot, therefore, I can not drink it).
c. To express the opposite meaning (Opposition).
Contrary meanings
Makna yang Berlawanan
although (walaupun
even though (walaupun)
while (sedangkan)
though (walaupun)
whereas (sedangkan)
no matter (tidak memandang)

Example:

    
Although he is not tall, he is a very good volleyball player.

    Jenny is rich, whereas Joni is poor.

    No matter how hard I tried, the math problems could not be solved.


d. To state the purpose (purpose).
Purpose
Tujuan
in order to (agar)
in order (that) (agar)
so that (agar)

Example:

During the class, We need to be quiet in order to be Able to listen to what the teacher says.

I turned off the TV so my roommate That Could study well.

I turned off the TV in order (that) my roommate Could study well.

They keep practicing Their Home in order (that) Their Classic improves steadily. (They continue to practice English so that English continues to increase).

Note: a) in order to be followed by verbs, whereas in order (that) and so That was followed by a clause (ie S + V). b). That so the meaning here is different so That to declare the cause and effect. Note also the difference in the pattern.


e. To state the assumption (conditional).
Conditional
if (jika)
whether or not
in case (that) (jika)
unless (jika tidak)
even if (walaupun jika)
providing (that) = if or only if
only if (hanya jika)
in the event (that)
provided (that) = if or only if

Example:

     If my parents were not home, I would invite my friends to come over. (jika orangtua saya tidak di rumah, saya akan undang teman-teman saya datang ke rumah).
I will go unless it rains. (Saya akan pergi jika tidak hujan). Note: unless = if…not. Jadi, kalimataya dapat ditulis menjadi: I will go if it doesn’t rain.
I don’t care no more whether or not you want to study = I don’t care no more whether you want to study or not. (Saya tidak peduli lagi apakah kamu mau belajar atau tidak).
I have decided to marry her. Even if my parents disagree, I am going to marry her. (Saya telah memutuskan untuk mengawininya. Walaupun jika orang tua saya tidak setuju, saya akan (tetap) mengawininya).
I’ll be in the library in case you want to find me. Note: in case = if
The general election will go to the second round only if no candidate gets 50% + 1 votes during the first round. (Pemilu akan masuk ke putaran kedua hanya jika tidak ada kandidat yang memiliki perolehan suara 50% + 1 waktu putaran pertama. Note: Jika only if diletakkan di awal kalimat, maka dilakukan inversi auxiliary/be/do,does,did) ke depan subject main clause. Kalimat ini dapat ditulis menjadi: Only if no candidate gets 50% + 1 votes will the general election go to the second round.


Referensi:
  • Mustaha, bachrudin. STEPS TO GLOBAL WORD : A Breakthrough in Learning English for SMU.Jakarta: Grafindo.2004.
  • Aryani, rima. Kupas Tuntas Bahasa Inggris. Solo : Sundana. 2010.
  • http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/conjunctions.htm di unduh Rabu, 21 juni jam 20.00 Wib.
  • http://swarabhaskara.com/parts-of-speech/conjunctions/






SEKOLAH TINGGI KEGURUAN DAN ILMU PENDIDIKAN BANTEN
HANDOUT

Mata kuliah : Bahasa Inggris
Program/Semester : Non Reguler/II
Dosen ; Arif Fahrudin, S.Pd.I

JENIS TEKS (GENRE)
Ada lima jenis teks yaitu descriptive, procedure, recount, narrative, dan report. Setiap teks memiliki fungsi social (tujuan), generic structure, dan lexical grammar yang berbeda – beda.
  • Descriptions Text
Ciri umum:
  1. Tujuan
Mendeskripsikan ciri –ciri seseorang, benda, atau tempat.
  1. Stuktur Teks
  1. Indentification
Pengenalan benda, orang, tau sesuatu yang akan dideskripsikan.
  1. Deskription
Menggambarkan ciri – ciri benda tersebut misalnya berasal dari warna, ukuran kesukaannya. Deskripsi ini hanya memberikan informasi mengenai benda atau orang tertentu yang sedang di bahas saja, misalnya deskripsi tentang “My Dog” ciri – ciri anjing saya berbeda dengan anjing yang lain.
  1. Ciri Kebahasaan.
  • Nouns tertentu misalnya teacher, house, my cat.
  • Simple present tense.
  • Detailed noun phrase untuk memberikan informasi tentang subjek, misalnya it was a large open rowboat, a sweet young lady.
  • Berbagai macam adjective yang bersifat describing, numbering, classifying, misalnya two strong legs, sharp white fangs.
  • Relating verb dan feeling verb untuk mengungkapkan pandangan pribadi penlis tentang subject misalnya Police believe the suspect is armed. I thingk it is a clever animal.
  • Action verb, misalnya Our new puppy bites our shoes.
  • Adverbials untuk memberikan informasi tambahan tentang perilaku tersebut, misalnya Fast, at the tree house.
  • Bahasa figurative, seperti smile, metaphor, misalnya John is white as chalk, sat tight.
Contoh
My Pet
I have a pet. It is a dog and I call it Brownie. Brownie is achinese breed. It is small, fluffy, and cute. It has got thick brown fur. When I cuddle it, the fur feels soft. Brownie does not like bones. Everyday it eats soft food like steamed rice, fish, and bread. Every morning I give her milk and bread. When I am at school, Brownie plays with my cat. They get a long well, and never fight maybe because Brownie does not bark a lot. It treats the other animals in our house gently, and never eats shoes. Brownie is really a sweet and friendly animal.

  • Procedure Text
Ciri umum:
  1. Tujuan
Menberikan petunjuk cara melakukan sesuatu melalui serangkaian tindakan atau langkah.
  1. Struktur Teks
  • Tujuan kegiatan (Goal)
  • Bahan – bahan (materials)
  • Langkah – langkah (Steps)
  1. Ciri Kebahasaan.
  • Pola kalimat imperative, misalnya, cut, don’t mix.
  • Action verb, misalnya trun, put.
  • Connectives, untuk mengurutkan kegiatan, misalnya then, while.
  • Adverbials untuk menyatakan waktu, tempat, cara yang akurat,misalnya for five minutes, 2 cm from the top.
  1. Contoh
How to make a Cheese Omelet
Ingredients:
1 egg, 50 g cheese, I cup milk, 3 tablespoons oil, a pinch of salt and pepper.
Utensils:
Frying pan, fork, spatula, vheese grater, bowl, and plate.
Method:
  • Rack the egg into bowl
  • Whisk the egg with a fork until it’s smooth
  • Add milk and whisk well
  • Grate the cheese into the bowl ang stir
  • Heat the oil in frying pan
  • Turn the omeler with spatula and cook both sides
  • Place on plate, season with salt and pepper


  • Recount text
Ciri umum:
  • Tujuan
Melaporkan peristiwa, kejadian, atau kegiatan dengan tujuan memberitakan atau mrnghibur.
  • Stuktue Teks
  1. Orientation (pendahuluan)
Yaitu memberikan informasi tentang apa, siapa, dimana, dan kapan.
  1. Events (laporan)
Yaitu rentetan peristiwa/kegiatan yang terjadi, biasanya disampaikan secara berurutan.

  1. Re-orientation (penutup)
Yang merangkumkan rentetan peristiwa, kejadian atau kegiatan.
  • Ciri Kebahasaan .
  • Nouns dan pronouns sebagai kata ganti orang , hewan, atau benda yang terlibat, misalnya David, the monkey.
  • Actions verb atau kata kerja tindakan , misalnya go, sleep, run.
  • Past tense, misalnya We went to the zoo, she was happy.

  • Report text
Ciri Umum:
  • Tujuan
Menyampaikan informasi tentang sesuatu, apa adanya sebagai hasil pengamatan sistematis atau analisis yang diekspresikan dapat meliputi gejala alam, lingkunagn, benda buatan manusia, atau gejala – gejala social. Deskripsi sebuah teks report denagn berupa simpulan umum.
  • Stuktur Teks
  1. Classification / Definiton
Pernyataan umumyang menerangkan subyek laporan , keterangan, dan klasifikasi.
  1. Description : deskripsi.
  • Ciri Kebahasaan
  • General nouns, seperti “Reptiles in Comodo Island”
  • Relating verbs untuk menjelaskan ciri misalnya replite are scali animals (ciri ini berlaku semua reptile)
  • Actions verb dalam menjelaskan perilaku, misalnya lizards cannot fly.
  • Present tense untuk menyatakan sesuatu yang umum. Misalnya komodo dragons usually weight more than 160 kg.
  • Istilah teknis, misalnya water contains oxygen and hydrogen.
  • Paragraph dengan menggunakan topic sentence untuk menyusun sejumlah informasi.

  • Narative Text
Ciri umum:
  • Tujuan
Menghibur pendengar atau pembaca dengan pengalaman nyata atau khayal. Ciri naratif adalah adanya unsur konflik ( masalah) dan resolusi penyelesaian masalah). Jumlah masalah atau penyelesaian masalah mungkin hanya satu atau lebih.
  • Struktur Teks
  • Orientation
Pengenalan tokoh, waktu dan tempat.
  • Complication/Crisis
Pengembangan konflik
  • Re-orientation
Perubahan yang terjadi pada tokoh dan pelajaran yang dapat dipetik dari cerita.
  • Ciri Kebahasaan
  • Nouns tertentu sebagai kata ganti orang , hewan, dan benda tertentu dalam cerita, misalnya stepsisters, housework.
  • Adjective yang berbentuk noun phrase, misalnya long black hair, two red apples.
  • Time conectives dan conjunctions untuk mengurutkan lokasi kejadiaan atau peristiwa misalnya here, in the mountain, ever after.
  • Action verb dalan past tense,misalnya stayed, climbed.
  • Saying verb yang menandai ucapaan seperti said, told, promised.
  • Thiking verb yang menandai pikiran,persepsi, atau perasaan tokoh dalam cerita misalnya, thought, understood, felt.


Referensi:
- Mustaha, bachrudin. STEPS TO GLOBAL WORD : A Breakthrough in Learning English for SMU.Jakarta: Grafindo.2004.
- Aryani, rima. Kupas Tuntas Bahasa Inggris. Solo : Sundana. 2010.Referensi:

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar